I drove home to the Valley on Saturday March 30th having secured the top, set up for the side curtain fabrication, designed and ordered new dinghy chocks for the sailing dinghy and reassembling the new deck boxes. I have my final post cataract exam on the 10th of April and will head back up to Anacortes on the 11th.
I should be up there for the installation of the Sat-Com electronics, the Wi-Fi enhancement package and cell phone optimizing electronics. Also some paint and varnish work for me to do as well as being able to see the new main salon cabinetry.
All in all, it should be a productive two weeks. My crew man, Brian Schnuir, should be joining me soon. I’m really looking forward to seeing him in person and to having his help with the provisioning and the rest of the prep work.
Today is a cloudy, rainy day. No big projects, but yesterday we got the new sound system fired up, so doing small projects on board is much more pleasant. Music always makes the day go better. worked on some wiring projects and when it got too cold, I came back to my hotel room to post and to set up Craigs List sales ads for the old, but still working, electronics. Anyone who just wants parts to repair what they have or needs only basic Radar, GPS or decent Repeaters, VHFs, Stereos etc. can make offers (See pics).
I haven’t heard yet whether the modifications to the hard-top have been started, but I really doubt it. I fly home on Saturday morning, so I have one more day to putter around on the boat. Hopefully I’ll get more pictures tomorrow.
Well damn. I got to the shipyard bright and early on the 14th to start getting the boat ready to lift the new hard-top sections up on the existing framework from the canvas top. The boys from Boater’s Discount, who built the top, arrived about ten thirty and we began to lift the sections into place. The after section has to go up first, because it needs to slide under the radar arch before the forward section can be lifted into place for attachment to the aft section. At any rate, we lifted the aft section and carefully but with some slight urging began to slide and maneuver it into it’s position. We got it about 75% of the way into position and the top hit the mast shrouds and the radar arch. It wasn’t going any farther. The yard guys went to lunch and we had to get the top back in position to lift it off. After an hour lunch break, the crane operator, Chuck, came back and we lifted the top back onto the trailer to send it back to the shop to be modified. I hope this time the shop crew pays attention to the patterns rather than making assumptions and modifying the design on their own accord. It will be at least two weeks before we get another opportunity to fly (lift) this very large section into place. The wind in Anacortes can be brutal in winter. These top sections are over 12 feet wide and about ten feet each in length, so that presents a “sail area” of about 120 square feet. way too much to crane lift (or fly, as we call it) safely into position when being buffeted by forty knot winds.
Anyway, the day was not a complete loss, as the electronics package was almost completed and we got to fire up most of the instrumentation for the first time. Everything seems to work as it should, even though all of the input options are not there yet. Below are some pics of the days disappointments and accomplishments.
Happy New year! I’m heading back up to Anacortes on Sunday January 13. The new hardtop is supposed to be fitted to the frame on Monday morning Jan. 14, weather permitting. Getting things done in Northern Washington is tough during the winter. The weather is usually inclement and it’s cold also. We Southern California boys really don’t appreciate how good we really have it. Anyway the Electronics package should be finishing up soon also. Yeah progress. I’ll be posting more when I get up there along with some pics and maybe a video. I’m new at this posting stuff, so it takes me a bit longer to get it done. Hopefully as I get further into the cruise itself I’ll become more proficient..
The good news is that some of the upgrading and reconfiguration is actually underway. The bad news is none of it is completed yet and I leave for home on Wednesday. I drove up to Anacortes this time to bring some tools and equipment. I left Santa Ynez on the 10th, got to Soledad and had to turn around and go all the way back to Santa Maria for car repairs. So I finally got on the road about noon, 8 hours after I started at 4 AM that morning. Got to Eureka around 8 PM, went to bed and got up on the 11th at 4AM to head to Seattle. Arrived in Seattle in torrential rainstorms at 3:30, had dinner with a friend and got up next morning at 5. Did a bit of business and hit the road for Anacortes. I spent the next two days (Dec. 13-14) contacting sub contractors and doing some maintenance and repair projects, On Friday I managed to nail down the instrumentation layout for the bridge and pilothouse and ordered all new audio electronics. The pictures below show the work in progress on the bridge and the boxes of new equipment in the salon awaiting installation. Saturday I did some of the minor Survey recommendations. On Sunday my old friend Bill Gesler came up from South Washington to see the boat and we had lunch and caught up. great little diversion. Today was more of the same, meeting with subs, working on small items. I did get the black tanks emptied! It’s getting cold and black again, more rain expected. Tomorrow is my last day here until after Christmas sometime. I will come back up for the installation of the new fly-bridge hardtop. after that it’s on to the cabinetry and completion of the main salon.
I’ll try to keep up with this posting a bit more frequently. -Pete